Protect your smile with the right toothbrush! When you go to the store, it can be a little overwhelming with all the different choices with multiple sizes, shapes, brands, and styles. Dr. Debora Bolton and our professional staff want to help you find the right fit for you, so follow these tips when finding a toothbrush right for you and your smile:
– Bristles on brushes come in a variety of shapes including rippled, flat, trimmed, or in a dome shape. It’s recommended to use a brush with soft bristles to rid tooth enamel of plaque.
– Rectangular- or tapered-shaped heads are good shapes to use. When they’re small heads, they can reach hard-to-reach corners of the mouth.
– Handles on brushes with a non-slip grip and flexible neck make it easier to grip and reach tough angles of the teeth.
– When your toothbrush begins to show wear, especially in the bristles, replace it. If three months have passed, replace it then. Worn-out bristles could damage your gums if you don’t get a new one.
– Get a new toothbrush if you’ve had a mouth infection or sore throat, or been sick with the flu or cold. Any leftover germs that could lead to another infection or you getting sick again will be disposed of with a new one.
– Let your toothbrush dry in a spot between brushes.
– Travel with a cover on your toothbrush to prevent flattened bristles and protect against germs.
– Electric toothbrushes are another alternate tool to use when purchasing a new toothbrush.
Discuss with your dentist which option is best for your smile. Visit Dr. Debora Bolton at Bull City Smiles Cosmetic & Family Dentistry, Debora Bolton DDS in Durham, North Carolina, to get the best dental care for you and your smile. Call us today at 919-381-5900 to set up an appointment or consultation!