Dr. Debora Bolton offers prophylaxis dental care at our office to help prevent dental problems from developing in your smile. When our dentist and team polish your teeth, harmful plaque and tartar have more difficulty sticking, which helps to prevent them from causing cavities and periodontal disease. At Bull City Smiles Cosmetic & Family Dentistry, Debora Bolton DDS, we offer dental cleanings and exams in Durham, North Carolina, so we can protect your smile and improve its health.
After completing an oral exam, we can professionally remove plaque, tartar, and stains from your teeth with dental polishing. This service helps your teeth feel cleaner, and it can also make them look brighter and whiter as well. But please remember that this is just a basic cleaning procedure, one that is not meant to treat gum disease. We do not perform a polishing if you have gum disease or if we still need to scale tartar off of your teeth.
A tooth polishing can be performed by a dentist, hygienist, or a licensed professional. It is done in conjunction with a dental exam in order to help prevent dental problems from harming your mouth. We will perform some of the following for the cleaning:
- Assess cleanliness of the mouth
- Evaluate your medical and dental history
- Counsel you on keeping a nutritious diet
- Scrape plaque bacteria from your tongue
- Scale your teeth to remove tartar, plaque, and stains from above the gum line (we use an ultrasonic scaler to perform this part of the procedure)
- Polish the teeth and dental restorations to remove surface stains.
- Floss your teeth
- Evaluate the health of your gum tissue
- Apply fluoride to strengthen your teeth (if needed)
- Plan treatments (if we find any dental problems)
- Check your bite, chewing, and swallowing patterns
If you would like to learn more about how dental polishing helps us to clean and examine your teeth, then call our dental team today.