Does your smile seem a little off lately? Do your teeth appear to be getting longer or do your gums appear to be more flushed with color? If you have not been caring for them properly, it is possible you are beginning to experience the early stages of gum disease. Gum disease, also recognized as periodontal disease, is the result of an infection to your gum tissues. If left untreated, it is conceivable for your gums to become destabilized and eventually lead to a loss of teeth.
Gum disease can be treated if found early enough. Here are some signs and symptoms to search for:
– Keep logs of how often you have bad breath, as recurring bad breath can often be a sign of gum disease.
– Circumvent dangerous habits for your teeth such as smoking and chewing tobacco, as they can greatly increase your risk for gum disease.
– Look for signs of bleeding when eating foods or practicing oral hygiene techniques such as brushing and flossing.
– Exercise caution with any medications you may take, as they can often cause dry mouth symptoms, a known source of gum disease.
– Cautiously inspect all of your teeth to ensure they are not loose, wobbly, or rotating.
– Inspect the length of your teeth to certify they are not becoming longer as the result of your gums pulling back away from them.
– Always examine your gum tissue on all corners of your mouth for signs of swelling, tenderness, and a general increase in redness.
If you are looking to improve your smile in the battle against gum disease at Bull City Smiles Cosmetic & Family Dentistry, Debora Bolton DDS, you are welcome to book an appointment with Dr. Debora Bolton and our team at our dentist office in Durham, North Carolina. We can be reached at 919-381-5900. Gum disease can be conquered, so feel free to come see us today.